Since the 1920’s, Orange Beach fishing captains have been taking chartered fishing trips to share their knowledge and the bounty of their Gulf Coast home. That’s 10 years before the Intracoastal Waterway came to the area, and 15 years before the first paved road came to town. Needless to say, the local captains of Orange Beach has a long history of putting visitors on the fish. Whether you’re in the area with your family, visiting for Spring Break, or a local hoping to explore some living history, here's everything you need to know about fishing in Orange Beach, Alabama.
Red Snapper, Bonita, Cobia, Redfish , Spanish Mackerel, King Mackerel, Shark, Triggerfish, Amberjack, Grouper, Vermillion Snapper, Trout, Flounder, Mahi-Mahi, and White and Blue Marlin, Tuna, Sailfish and more.
The Alabama coast is a year round fishery with all seasons open to catch and release, and Government mandated seasons for catch and keep. Inshore fishing is best in the winter, and offshore fishing in the Fall. Spring is busy with Spring Breakers, and Summer is great for bottom fishing on the reef. Here are some of the top targeted species seasons to catch fish:
- Red Drum / Redfish: Winter and Spring (catch and release)
- White and Blue Marlin: Fall
- Tuna: Fall
- Mahi-Mahi: Fall / year-round
- Wahoo: Fall / year-round
CATCH AND KEEP SEASONS:
- Red Snapper: 2019 season runs June 1, 2019 through July 28, 2019. More info here.
- Gray Trigger: Open March 1, 2019, minimum size of 15” fork length. More info here.
- Greater Amberjack: August 1, 2019 and probably closes October 31, 2019* if the fishery follows last year’s precedent. 1 per person and the size is 34″ total length.
- Vermilion, Black, Mangrove Snapper and Red Porgy: Open year round.
LICENSES AND REGULATIONS:
A saltwater fishing license is required for all of the waters in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach. If you fish with a charter, a license is included in the charter. More info here.
FISHING CHARTERS IN ORANGE BEACH, AL:
- Capt. Zack Gilbert runs Hey Boy II Charters, a family-friendly business that specializes in offshore fishing trips along the Gulf Coast. Their trips include trolling and bottom fishing so there is fun to be had by anglers of all ages and experience levels. See more here: https://www.fisherguiding.com/fishing-guide/hey-boy-ii-charters
- Master Captain Al Keahl, owner and operator of Fish Trap Charters, has been fishing the last 45 years, from the Great Lakes to the Gulf of Mexico. From trolling trips, bottom fishing trips to overnight tuna and deep drop trips Fish Trap will make sure you get ‘em hook, line, and sinker. See more here: https://www.fisherguiding.com/fishing-guide/fish-trap-charters
- For Captain Ronnie Doyle of Another Fish Charters, fishing is not like any other job. “The more you love what you do the better off you will be doing it. Which is why I find myself getting better and better every day.” A family friendly trip, Ronnie can do inshore and nearshore trips, and will put you on redfish, speckled Trout, and Spanish and King Mackerel. When Ronnie’s not guiding, he’s fishing, or “studying” as he calls it. See more here: https://www.fisherguiding.com/fishing-guide/another-fish-charters
- Capt. Billy Howell of Bent Outfitters Fishing make sure that whatever you’re looking for in a fishing trip, they can make it happen — whether it’s going on a sunrise / sunset trolling trip, zipping offshore for some reef fishing or chasing a variety of inshore species, Bent Outfitters Fishing will have you covered. See more here: https://www.fisherguiding.com/fishing-guide/bent-outfitters-fishing
- Captain Rob of Cool Breeze Charters can show you the gulf his 42 ft. Sportfisher. Rob focuses on bottom fishing for red snapper, triggerfish, amberjack, and grouper or offshore trolling for tuna, wahoo, mahi mahi, and marlin or sailfish. As Rob says “you are sure to have the adventure of a lifetime aboard the Cool Breeze!” See more here: https://www.fisherguiding.com/fishing-guide/cool-breeze-charters
- Capt. Chad Hale of Anthony's Fishing Charters will take you to the fish morning, afternoon, or evening. Chad packages trips into 3 hour trolling specials for an abundance of species, mainly Redfish, Cobia, King Mackerel, Spanish Mackerel, and Barracuda. See more here: https://www.fisherguiding.com/fishing-guide/anthonys-fishing-charters
ORANGE BEACH & PENSACOLA, FL:
- James Bertrand is your captain, deckhand, and tour guide of Blue Water Charters. James was “born with a fishing license tied to my toes!” and he specializes in offshore bottom fishing. A favorite tactic is using Spot-Lock to e-anchor over a wreck/reef and watching each of his clients catch every species fish until they are exhausted. Whether you’re with a group of friends and want to test your fishing skills or you want to introduce your kids to the joys of angling, Blue Water Charters is the way to go! See more here: https://www.fisherguiding.com/...
WITHIN 2 HOURS
SANTA ROSA BEACH, FL:
- If you’re looking for a fly fishing captain and guide, you’ll have to travel a little further from Orange Beach, but you won’t be disappointed. John Jacob, an avid saltwater fly fisherman for 25 years, operates 7weight Charters in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida. He ties all his own flies and gets no greater joy than putting his clients on fish. John loves to teach newcomers to the sport, too! See more here: https://www.fisherguiding.com/...